Thursday, September 29, 2011

Almond feta cheese

I just became aware that I had not actually the recipe for the almond feta cheese that I make! I will post the recipe I normally make since I haven't finished the one I'm working on. I can't remember where I originally got it from, so if you (or someone you know) made this leave a link in the comments section. Once I perfect the new recipe, I'll make a new post and post a photo.

1 cup whole almonds
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves
1 Tsp fresh rosemary leaves

1. Blanch the almonds by soaking them in boiling water for around a minute, drain & rinse. Peel the skins. (Alternatively, don't peel them)

2. Place the almonds in a medium bowl, cover with 3 inches of water and soak for 24 hours. Drain & rinse. I recommend soaking in the fridge, you risk them getting "funky" (especially in warmer weather!) when done on the counter top.

3. Puree almonds, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of EVOO, garlic, salt and 1/2 cup water in a blender for 6 minutes until creamy.

4. Place triple layer cheese cloth in a sieve (you might want to either clip it or perhaps use a rubber band to keep it in place) and spoon the mixture into the cloth. Bring sides together and twist into an orange sized ball, secure with twist tie (or rubber band) and chill for 12 hours in the fridge.

5. Line a baking sheet with parchment and transfer the almond ball to it. Shape it to look like a 6" round of brie (approximately 3/4" thick). Or you can place it straight into a ceramic bowl that is already rounded and forget the parchment paper!

6. Bake 40 minutes or until slightly firm, cool & chill

7. To make the herbal oil for the feta, combine the 1/4 cup olive oil with the herbs and heat over medium low until heated but NOT SIMMERING. Cool to room temp and drizzle over the almond ball just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment